Sunday, 26 October 2014

Waitrose Ultimate Chocolate and Ginger Torte




Everyone loves chocolate cake. Even people who profess not to like it, can't resist scoffing a sly slice when no one is looking. It's wonderful that there are so many fabulous and varied chocolate cake recipes online, but the sheer volume can become intimidating. How do we know which ones are really worth baking?

Waitrose has come up with a genius idea to solve all our chocolate cake quandaries with their ULTIMATE chocolate cake hall of fame.  I have developed hundreds of chocolate cake recipes, so like to think I know a thing or two about a good one. I was asked by Waitrose to make one of their ultimate chocolate cakes but with a twist in the shape of a mystery ingredient sent through the post. I received a packet of crystallised ginger sprinkles, which I couldn't have been happier about. I absolutely adore ginger and decided that the flourless chocolate and almond cake but with the added zing of ginger.



The recipe was easy to follow - especially as it is very similar to my own chocolate and almond torte. I decided to make a slightly smaller cake than the recipe, so adjusted the quantities and oven times accordingly, but it was a great success and the added ginger added a welcome hit of warmth on these cold, dark days.

If you want to recreate my recipe, simply follow this link for the recipe but add half a tub of crystallised ginger sprinkles to the cake batter and scatter some more over the top of the unset ganache.





8 comments:

  1. Hey Victoria,
    I never heard about ginger and chocolate combination. It would be exciting to give it a try. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I hope you enjoy the combination as much as I do :)

      Delete
  2. I really liked it Waitrose Ultimate Chocolate and Ginger Torte. looks so yummy. I love chocoloate.

    Thanks!!
    Kids birthday cakes in pune

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manish! I'm so pleased you like the recipe. I love chocolate too! :)

      Delete
  3. Hey, I've been following your blog for a while now, and I'd like to thank you for pushing me to dive right in to the world of culinery delights. I have never before found myself so intrigued by the simplicities we once mistook for magic. In fact, you inspired me to start looking for my own means of cookery ambition. That's when I found something...

    I was browsing through Amnazon (of course) and came across the most amazing cake decorating book. I kinda went to dismiss it at first, but then my younger sister decided that she wanted a copy, so we agreed to give it a go. I am so glad that we did.

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/All-You-Need-Cake-Decorating/dp/0957637802

    This guide is a one-of-a-kind. The instructions are detailed, yet simple and easy to follow; even for someone like me! The photographs are a great accompaniment to the book. The book has helped me to enhance my abilities with cake decorating greatly, and I thought that it seemed like something that would interest you - especially seeing as I found it down to you.

    Anyway, thank you for your time. Great finally getting to speak to you,
    Skylar Evans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Skylar! I'm so pleased I've inspired you to get suck in! I'll definitely check out your book recommendation, but while we're on the subject, can I point you in the direction of my books in case you're interested too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victoria-Glass/e/B00IEF00A8/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1419160848&sr=8-2-ent

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  4. Hi can you help me I seen your wedding cake, it wast amazing I like the looks and everything.... I really need help for how to make a cake that won't full down when I'll put a icing fondant

    wedding photographer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, I can help! I wrote a book on how to make wedding cakes called, Boutique Wedding Cakes. You can buy the kindle version on Amazon for just over £8 at the moment or £15 for the hardback book.

      Delete